BOLD DESIGNER, FREEFORM AND TRADITIONAL CABOCHONS FOR JEWELRY ARTISTS AND COLLECTORS

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Making an Ammolite Pendant - part 2

So.........
The Ammolite has been coated with epoxy and is now fully hardened and cured.  On to the final finish.

17.  Remove the Ammolite and stick from the Styrofoam block and while firmly holding the doublet, grasp the stick up close to the stone and snap the stick off.
Lots of epoxy on the bottom and the drop of super glue too.

18.  Grind off the epoxy and super glue using a medium rough wheel on a flat lap with plenty of water.  I use a 320 dot pattern diamond lap because the epoxy does not 'load' the wheel and flushes away in the water readily.
be sure to use plenty of water and don't let the epoxy get too warm
After sanding off the epoxy.  It's back to the way it was when you glued on the stick

19.  Done!  Most pieces I make I sell as is - either to jewelers who set them in gold or silver, or to wire wrappers who work in gold or silver also.  Occasionally I glue a silver or gold bail directly to the backing to make a nice clean simple pendant, as I have done here.
Silver bail attached with a small drop of epoxy

THE FINISHED PIECE!
Photos of Ammolite never capture how stunning they really are.
The color flows in waves as the stone moves.

mmm..... I think I will keep this in my collection for now...... maybe a future gift for someone who takes pride in my work.

....... and remember.  "It's never too late to be what you might have been" (George Eliot).  I am trying to be proof of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment